Professor and Head of EEE
Southern University Bangladesh.
CORONA: A CURSE OF NATURE!!
Corona Virus disease ( COVID 19) is an infectious disease that
is caused by a newly discovered coronavirus and it has wreaked havoc all over
the world. Though the number of affected patients is comparatively less in our
country than others, our fruitful measures which we already have taken can save
our motherland from any type of upcoming disaster. We have already gathered
knowledge about the mode of transmission of this virus but let me remind again
which includes :
1) Droplets of bodily fluids such as saliva and mucous: it occurs when a person is in close contact (within 1m)with someone who has respiratory symptoms(coughing, sneezing)and therefore at the risk of having his/her mucosa (mouth and nose ) or conjunctiva (eyes ) exposed to the infective droplets.
2) Contagious: by direct contact with infected people or indirect contact with the objects used by /on the infected ones.
INCUBATION PERIOD OF THIS VIRUS IS 14DAYS. That means after entering into the human body it takes 14 days to show significant symptoms. Most common symptoms are fever, dry cough, sore throat, tiredness, body ache, and difficulty in breathing ( in severe case) This disease can be more serious and even fatal in older people, people with a comorbid disorder such as diabetes, hypertension (high pressure), heart disease, kidney disease, and cancer.
PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.
We have got no other way just to take protective measures to save ourselves and our near ones as no definite medicine or vaccine has yet been invented to combat this virus.
BASIC PREVENTIVE MEASURES INCLUDES:
1) Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an antiseptic solution or soap and water.
2) Maintain at least 1m or 3 ft distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing and sneezing.
3) Avoid touching mouth nose and eyes.
4) Practice respiratory hygiene: make sure you and the people around you follow good respiratory hygiene that means covering your mouth and nose with bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze and then dispose of it immediately.
5) Wear musk when you are outside the home.
6) Confine yourself at home.
7) Avoid social gatherings.
8) Especial take care of your elderly and members with diabetes, hypertension, heart & kidney disease and cancer.
9) Wet your throat by taking water within the frequent interval (this will help to pass the virus into the stomach that destroys it by gastric acid.
10) Take vitamin C, PROTEIN and fiber-enriched diet. All types of fish and meat should be properly sterilized before eating.
11) Most importantly don’t be panic. Don’t believe any rumors in
social media and take action accordingly. We need mental courage to fight
against this global crisis.
If you notice any abnormality in your body, at first SELF ISOLATION, is a MUST. Then immediately consult with a physician. Don’t take any medicine without doctors’ recommendations.
Lastly, special importance is TO BE AT HOME and STAY SAFE. PRAY ALMIGHTY ALLAH TO PROTECT EARTH.